Wednesday, July 23, 2014

Where does Wolfbane come from?


Over the years, I'be been asked where the name Wolfbane comes from.  I was given this name in High School and many of my friends from that time still call me that.  By the way, there is a rule:  YOU CANNOT SET YOUR OWN NICKNAME!  

Wikipedia defines 'wolfsbane' as the plant Aconitum.  It contains a toxin that when extracted was historically used to kill wolves.  This probably had nothing to do with my nickname.

The nickname thing started at a restaurant in Clifton Heights named The Clam Tavern.  Everyone had a nickname:  Tonto, Squal, Gino, and others.  Mine was given to me by Louis Louvinere who started by calling me 'Hane-bane' then 'banes' then finally wolfbane.

This was enhanced by my 'songs.'  The big ones were 'Hungry like the Wolbane' by  Duran Duran and 'Wolfbane's in London' by Warren Zevon.  The other was David Bowie's "Fame."  Listen to the words and substitute Bane for Fame.





Bane, he's a man who takes things over
Bane, let him loose, he's hard to swallow
Bane, puts you there where things are hollow
Bane

Bane, he's not a brain, he's got the flame
That burns your change to keep you insane
Bane

Bane, what you like is in the limo
Bane, what you get is no tomorrow
Bane, what you need you have to borrow
Bane

Bane, "Nien! It's mine!" is just his line
To bind your time, it drives you to crime
Bane

Bane, Bane, Bane, Bane, Bane, Bane ...




This is all silly high school stuff, but at least it shows creativity on the part of my friends.  As my two sons reach the age for nicknames, I dread the idea of either of them being called 'E-Ho.'

No comments:

Post a Comment