Thursday, January 23, 2014

Curing the Commuter Snow Day Blues

Sometimes things just work out. 

I woke up Wednesday morning intent on making it to the commuter van on time.  I started the car at 5:55 AM.  At 6:10, I went out and brushed all the snow off.  There was only a few inches.  At 6:20, I decided to leave, giving myself some extra time to get to the commuter lot and help get the van ready for the trip.  I sat down in the the driver's seat of my Corolla, put it into low, and tried to move up the hill.  The wheels spun.  I tried rocking back a little bit and tried again.  Still the wheels spun...  With a little push I could probably make it up the driveway and onto the road.  But there was no one to help me that early.  The rest of my family was in bed and the neighborhood was quiet and appeared empty. 

It was obvious I wasn't going to make it to the lot.  I gave up and retreated to the house for another cup of coffee.  Upon reflection, I realized the having the van make its numbers was the only reason I was going into work.  They were on a liberal leave policy and I had enough saved leave that I could afford a day off.  So, I stayed home.

At about 10:00, my wife and I got my car out of the driveway.  I packed the two younger boys in the car with their sleds and headed out for Trench Hill on University of Mary Washington campus.  We spent almost three hours there, up and down that big hill. It felt great to enjoy the snow rather than work around it.  Thank you God for guiding my path today!

I went to work the next day to find out the van made its numbers without me.  Imagine that!


No comments:

Post a Comment